Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical plans

To: "Jim Hoge" <knowkode@sbcglobal.net>, "W5CPT" <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical plans
From: "WA3GIN" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 11:10:15 -0400
Another approach might be to use two 30ft sections of 3" irrigation tubing.
We did this for a Field Day antenna.  Used a block of pressure treated 4X4
that was turned on the ends to slip into the tubing. We left about a foot of
wood between to two sections of tubing and mounted a  rotary coil on the
wood coupling block to connect the two sections. Attached to the coil was a
small DC motor. The wood was center bored  with a channel to one side so
that the DC motor wire could be run into the block and down the lower
section  of the tubing. The coil gave us the ability to span the entire
75-80m band.  The surprise for us was that the old surplus coil had enough
inductance to get the antenna to resonate on 160m.

Have Fun,
dave
wa3gin