[TowerTalk] Waterproofing Yaesu control connection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Waterproofing Yaesu control connection
From: "Michael Fox \(K5MEF\)" <k5mef@mefox.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:37:06 -0700
I have a Yaesu G-1000DXA rotator.  I'm looking for input on waterproofing
the control cable connection.

The manual says to simply slide the boot up against the rotator and, while
pressing the boot against the rotator, wrap with electrical tape.  Of
course, this puts compression on the boot but I presume water can still get
inside the boot where it meets with the rotator.  The manual mentions
nothing about waterproofing the connector inside the boot.

I was planning to:

1)  Put a little bit of  "stuf" or other dielectric filler on the pins
before assembling

2)  Put some anti-seize lubricant on the outer screw ring to ease
disassembly

But I was wondering if I should:

1)  Tape up the connector itself before adding the boot

2)  Do something more like a bead of silicon (RTV?) where the boot meets the
rotator housing

What have you guys found necessary and effective?

73,

Michael - K5MEF

--

We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is not a single act, but a
habit. -- Aristotle