Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPRESSORS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPRESSORS
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 16:29:14 -0500
> Wouldn't it be feasible to simply open up the existing three-way  devices
> and remove the two legs that are undesired?

Jack,

Although not optimum (through a slow discharge of surge current to neutral),
cutting the L/G, and N/G MOVs and leaving only the L/N MOV in a pre-existing
3-mode SPD is certainly a possibility.  I see nothing that would violate UL
1449 -- but I'm no expert with UL standards.

One point not mentioned before (and I think to Pete's point) -- I would not
install any SPD device on a branch circuit without first installing a
whole-house SPD.  I don't think that's a requirement from the single-mode
SPD manufacturers, just my own philosophy for what that's worth!

Paul, W9AC