[TowerTalk] Adjusting a 4 square

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Adjusting a 4 square
From: dick.green@VALLEY.NET (Dick Green)
Date: Mon Jun 16 13:12:21 2003
Depending on the design of your phasing network, the per-element VSWR will
not go down when the elements are phased. What happens with hybrid couplers
like Comtek's is that the reflected power is dumped into a dummy load, so
you see nearly flat VSWR at the transmitter.

However, when you phase the array, the resonant frequency will *increase*.
You must tune each element, while all others are disconnected, lower than
the desired resonant frequency. The rule of thumb I've seen is 5%-10% below
the desired resonant frequency. So, if you want the array's resonant
frequency to be 3.800, you would tune each element somewhere between 3.400
and 3.600.

BTW, the VSWR figures below are so close that I wouldn't bother trying to
make them exactly the same. However, 3.800 is too high for the resonant
frequency -- it would put the array above the 75m band.

73, Dick WC1M