Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Masts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Masts
From: Robert Chudek - KØRC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:24:03 -0500
Allen,

We just had a discussion regarding masts on the Minnesota Wireless Assn
reflector.

You can use this on-line mast calculator to determine whether an aluminum or
steel mast is needed for your specific situation:  It's provided by WD9P and
you will
find it here: http://www.math.niu.edu/KARC/mast

In general, if you're not stacking large yagi's, and you don't live in a
hurricane zone, aluminum can meet the task. But it's best to do a "worse
case scenario" for your situation and then decide which way to go.

BTW, the 35,000 psi figure in the calculator for aluminum is conservative,
6061-T6 is about 42,000 psi (a pretty common alloy) and the 7075 alloy (if
you can find it) is over 70,000 psi. Chrome-molly steel is generally 110,000
psi. It's best to ask the supplier for the exact specifications of their
material but you can do a Google search to get a "feel" for reasonable
figures to use in your calculations.

The calculator is *fun* to do some "what if" scenarios... What if I pushed
that TH-11DXX (12.5 ft^2) antenna up from 1 foot to 15 feet above the top of
the tower?

73 de Bob - K0RC in MN