Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Rotor Shelf Mounting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Rotor Shelf Mounting
From: "Mike Rhodes" <weightdn@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:42:10 -0400
Been there, done that...

The rotor shelf will only fit at the junction of two sections in its stock
form. I trimmed the sides of my rotor shelf back, leaving all the metal
possible at the U-bolt locations. Think I took about an inch or a little
more off the sides. I made straight cuts and drilled a hole at the
intersections, mainly so I could turn the saw but also to stree relieve the
cut corners. Never had any problems but I also use a thrust bearing and an
anlignment bushing separated by a few feet. Don't forget to paint the cut
edges for rust protection. However, before you start cutting your rotor
shelf, check to see that your rotor will fit where you intend to put it. I
couldn't get my Ham-M into the tower and had to cut a brace. Then I
discovered that it would not rotate all the way around so out came the
cutters again! Never failed where the braces were cut, even when an Oak tree
took out a set of guys and brought the whole thing down. Just never felt
real good about having to cut those braces in the first place.

Mike / W8DN