[Towertalk] Box forSPG and Lightning protectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Box forSPG and Lightning protectors
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider (N3RR))
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:39:31 -0400
Let's take this one item at a time:

Phone lines (TELCO) come into the house from the outside (either above or
below ground).
Most, if not all, codes require TELCOs to provide lightning protection on
each pair of lines
entering the house. So, don't worry about this.  Just be sure your ground
grid at your house
ties the TECLO ground into it.  I do this by tying my house ground-grid into
the TELCO
ground rod.  See: www.erols.com/n3rr for pictures and pictorials.

CAT5 cables do not come into the house from the outside.  So, don't worry
about the external SPG.
They are something you ran throughout the house as a LAN.  I used Shielded
CAT5 cable and made a SPG for that cabling in the
TELCO closet and grounded the SINGLE CAT5 ground wire to TELCO's ground
(which is connected
to the house SPG).  If you didn't use shielded CAT5, I have no idea what
grounding there is on non-shielded CAT5.

That should answer the question.

Bill, N3RR

Bill Hider
Senior Consultant #3058