Re: [TowerTalk] Crank up Winch Cable Replacement

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank up Winch Cable Replacement
From: <rwhitetexas@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 11:36:04 -0500
Here is a copy of a post from a 2/25/2008 post on Tower Talk that Steve
replied to my similar question. It has the lube one should buy to lubricate
the cable. I purchased a can of it and have used it once.

 In a message dated 2/25/2008 12:42:59 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
  >  Now that I have a new crank up tower less than 3 months old, what do
you all
  recommend I inspect regularly, besides the cable/pulley integrity, winch
  operation and overall structure? What should I look for besides the
obvious
  signs of unusual wear? I also look at the antenna mounting, rotator bolts,
  inv. Vee etc. every time I plan to have it cranked down and folded over.
      That's about what you can inspect. Look for damage, cable kinks, etc.
It should be fairly obvious when you seen some.

  >  Is there some sort of lubricant that I need to apply to the winch and
  especially the cables to assure long term reliability?

         Yes, you need a cable lubricant that is light enough to penetrate
the strands without leaving any residual on the cable surface that'll
attract contaminants. Wire rope manufacturers recommend PreLube, available
from www.championradio.com.

        It's really messy so start at the top of the tower and apply the
PreLube on all cables as you work your way down. When the tower is retracted
and blocked of course.

        BTW contemporary pulleys in some crank-ups use sealed bearings so
there's nothing you have to do to the.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH  -
Professional tower services for hams and UST factory authorized installer

Roger W5RD