Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>,"Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Michael Harris" <mike.harris@horizon.co.fk>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 21:46:03 -0800
Jim,

When you do that calculation for a 1/4 ground mounted
vertical, what do you use for the effective height when
doing the ray trace for the distance to the reflection zone?
I posed that question on the topband reflector (in the context
of siting a 160 meter antenna near salt water) and nobody
seemed to have a good answer. Using the ray tracing
simplification the calculation is rather simple, but the answer
you get depends strongly on where you define the phase
center of the antenna. On the site I had in mind, it could
make a big difference because of the limited extent of the
salt water in certain directions.