Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding base slab and pier tower bases

To: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding base slab and pier tower bases
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 20:02:11 -0700
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 7:46 PM

> Fellow TTers,
>
> We have had an interesting discussion of grounding methods and I sure
> learned something new from the Ufer ground discussion.  Now, keeping in
> mind
> the LXC Prime Directive (FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS) I wonder
> what to think of this advice from the manufacturer of my new tower (Dan at
> AN-Wireless):  "I'm no expert on grounding by any means, but I do know
> that
> ground rods must not be placed through concrete into the foundation /
> rebar
> in any manner, nor should the tower base be bonded to the rebar."  I seem
> remember similar advice from US Tower when I installed my current tower.
>
> 73 - JC, K0HPS

I am not sure that I agree with that, JC (at least not in general). Look at
the
base connection for the Tashjian (old Tri-ex) crankup tower. The base of the
tower is not only electrically connected to the rebar cage, it's actually
part of it
(each of the 3 flange ears that the tower bolts against are welded to a
piece
of large diameter rebar which in turn is tied to the rest of the cage.  I
think the
US tower bases are done more or less the same way.