Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk] Steam Pipe for Masting

To: "'Phil Camera'" <kb9cry@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk] Steam Pipe for Masting
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 08:21:14 -0700
There are two good tools for evaluating masts and both are connected to this
list.  One is the MARC software from Steve (K7LXC who provides this
reflector) and the other is a spreadsheet that someone on here developed
from (I think) formulas from one of the ARRL Antenna Books.  I'm a little
short on time this morning or I'd look up who it is but I'm sure someone
else knows or the fellow himself will speak up.

That old pipe is probably fine for a short mast with one antenna on it, but
I seriously doubt it would work for a stack of any size.  The savings over
buying the right mast wouldn't be worth the hassle you would endure after it
bent and you had to replace it.  Do it right the first time.

73 - JC, K0HPS