Re: [TowerTalk] Dealing with Insurance Dweebs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dealing with Insurance Dweebs
From: "W3YY" <w3yy@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:32:49 -0000
Dave -

I understand your frustration and, yes, insurance adjusters are not usually
familiar with ham radio.  But I can tell you if you go into this with the
attitude that the insurance guy is a jerk and and your gonna get screwed,
you will get screwed.  To you this is a real problem - the lost of your
beloved ham gear.  To the insurance adjuster it is just another file he
wants to close as soon as possible.   Don't insult him and give him some
solid information to justify a quick and even generous settlement and he is
likely to jump at it to just close the file and report another settlement to
his boss.  I've had agents actually call me on ham radio insurance
settlements pleading with me to just please send in the estimate I got so
they can settle and move on to other things.

Take a deep breath and relax.  Try to get a "professional" estimate of your
loss from a ham dealer or someone who the insurance company recognizes as
being knowledgeable.  This kind of thing can really help.   Praise your
adjuster for how quickly he came to understand the value of your
installation and give him something he can use to justify the settlement.

You'll likely be pleased at the result.  Good luck.

73, Bob - W3YY

P.S. If you don't have "replacement value" coverage on your insurance, you
should really consider this.