Re: [TowerTalk] 90' sky needel

To: <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 90' sky needel
From: "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:27:40 -0400
You might consider buying your own equipment and supplies to make the cables
up on site. McMaster-Carr and other industrial suppliers carry everything
you need. (Make sure you buy the proper size crimps rated for lifting. Also
make sure you buy the right flavor of wire rope.)

You'll need to buy a decent quality wire rope cutter, otherwise it's almost
impossible to get the cut end into the crimp twice (for making the loop at
the cable end). A 28"-36" wire rope cutter works fine for me.

If you follow the simple directions, you'll get a perfect crimp every time.
If you're paranoid like me, double up on the crimps (two crimps on each end)
and you've got twice the holding strength. The Nicopress tool comes with a
jig that allows you to check that your crimping is adequate.

Once you get the hang of it, you can make a cable in just a couple of
minutes.

A spool of wire rope, a wire rope cutter, a Nicopress tool, and Nicopress
crimps cost me about the same as buying the replacement cables
pre-fabricated.

Doug
K4DDR