Re: [TowerTalk] Re-galvanizing tower sections

To: "Julio Peralta" <jperalta@tampabay.rr.com>,<TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re-galvanizing tower sections
From: "Dan Cisson" <n4gnr@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:15:23 -0500
I have done this and there are problems you will have to deal with...
The new galvanize will adhere to the inside walls of the tower legs,
and will form solid, not allowing the legs to drain water. If the legs are
not cleared, they will freeze and "bust". A long ground rod run through the
legs will solve this problem.. The biggest problem I encountered was the
legs
have to be drilled out to get out the excess galvanize so that the legs
will slide together. A drill bit exactly the same i.d. of the tower leg
must be used...find out the internal dimension of the leg before
galvanizing..
And, the only other thing you need to do is get all the "burrs", or stickers
of galvaize off the tower surfaces, or they will EAT YOUR HANDS UP!!!!
Otherwise, you can expect 20 years or so of new life to the re-galved
tower...73 GL,, Dan, N4GNR