Re: [TowerTalk] HF LOG-PERIODIC ANTENNAS Comments Please

To: <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HF LOG-PERIODIC ANTENNAS Comments Please
From: "Larry Phipps" <larry@telepostinc.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:17:06 -0400
I used a 3 element model in EZNEC... I'm pretty sure there's a model of stacked
3 el SteppIRs on my website at www.telepostinc.com/n8lp.html in the downloads
section. You can delete the wires for the second beam. I assumed 100' of RG-8,
and used TLW to calculate loss. I added out-of-band feedpoint mismatch loss and
antenna response as well.

My assumptions about distortion numbers were made with regard to a preamp stage
only with a NF of 10dB and IP3 of 10dB. I did not include any preselector
attenuation, which in some rigs might be substantial. It might be that there
would be enough attenuation in the preselector that the difference between a
yagi and LPDA would be inconsequential, with distortion products being below
the noise floor in both cases. My main concern would actually be the blocking
dynamic range spec of the rig, and nearby big signals. The use of LPDAs in a
multi-multi environment, for instance, might require a more judicial use of
traps, bandpass filters or external pre-selectors to block out strong local
interference to reduce de-sensitization.

Larry N8LP