Re: [TowerTalk] Calibrating antenna direction and using chokes with a be

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Calibrating antenna direction and using chokes with a beam
From: "Rick Kiessig" <kiessig@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:12:00 +1300
Thanks for the replies so far -- as I said in my OP, I know how to find true
north. I already went through the compass/declination/rough-alignment when I
first put the antenna up. I know about the shadow technique as well [FWIW,
in the southern hemisphere the sun is in the north and shadows point due
south at solar noon]. What I'd like to do now is calibrate pointing
direction with some degree of accuracy, based on something more concrete
than just eyeballing it.

Also, I realize a 3-el Yagi has a reasonably wide 3 dB forward lobe (appx 66
deg). I'm not concerned with the accuracy of where I'm pointing the center
of the lobe; I'm ultimately interested in managing placement of its edges,
where gain drops off quickly.

73, Rick ZL2HAM