Re: [TowerTalk] Making rotator loops separate

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Making rotator loops separate
From: "Mike Rhodes" <weightdn@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:56:56 -0400
> In a message dated 8/31/03 10:36:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> mcduffie@actcom.net writes:
>
> > > Pl-259's are notorious for coming loose anyway, and in the loop
> environment
> >  > you're just asking for trouble.

  Wondering if maybe we are hung up on a fine point as in "loop environment"
which, depending on the definition, would change the requirements
significantly.
  I use "pigtails" from my antennas down thru the rotor loop onto the tower.
Therefore my connections to the main run of feedline are on the tower with
at least one point of the pigtail taped to the tower. Therefore the joint
does not see any (or very little) of the flexing induced by the rotor loop.
Only way I will have a joint in the rotor loop is if I miscalculate the
pigtail length and can't reach the tower with it. Haven't done that yet but
a couple connections have ended up being that first fastening point on the
tower!

Mike / W8DN