Re: [TowerTalk] 3000' feedline...can I make it work?

To: "Paul" <radioboy@telus.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 3000' feedline...can I make it work?
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 11:10:15 -0700
From: "Paul" <radioboy@telus.net>
> Hi Group,
>
> Thank you for all of the replies. Lot's of good ideas were offered. I had
> another look around the property, and found that if I go the other
> direction, ie away from the mountain down into the meadow below, I should
be
> able to get about 25 deg takeoff angle. Not great, but not bad either, and
> only 600' of feedline.  I still may try running the 3000' up the mountain
> but the meadow looks much easier to start with.

> Paul
> VE7KHz

BTW, Paul, the other thing for you to consider is a remote
base. If you can put some kind of equipment cabinet or shelter
at the summit of your hill, you could run data and power
up from your farmhouse. This would solve all of your feedline
loss issues and allow you to do stuff even on VHF and UHF
without the need for very expensive feeders. Since you
would have a dedicated data connection you wouldn't
have any latency issues when running voice. In fact
you could probably do the data connection very
inexpensively with point to point Wi-Fi in which case
you would only need to run AC power up to the
summit of the hill.