[TowerTalk] SDS Hammer Drills - Difference?

To: "TOWERTALK Reflector" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SDS Hammer Drills - Difference?
From: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:50:12 -0500
OK, this is probably off topic, but seems it has been carried right up to this
question.  Sorry if not.  Just tell me where to go.  I've been told before so I
know the way.

I can't imagine a "normal" hammer drill  (I have a Milwaukee) working very well
at all for installing ground rods.  Not nearly enough "hammering" (pretty
miserable, actually) and can't turn off the rotation.

WHAT is the difference with the SDS drills besides the type of "Chuck" on
it?????

Does it have a mode where it only hammers?

Does it do a better job of hammering?

What is the big deal with SDS anyway?

THANKS, Jim