Re: [TowerTalk] Mast wind loading

To: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast wind loading
From: "Bill" <w7vp@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:33:15 -0800
I guess I see it partly the same and partly differently Jim.

Risk analysis incorporates more than just the person building the tower,
which is why the manufacturers specify the limits of their designs.  They
have greater risk than the individual builder because they have the "product
liability."  In order to recover from then you only need to prove that the
product was defective in terms of materials, design or warnings.  If it was
not you probably won't be able to clollect from them particularly if you
violate their warnings.

The property owner has two kinds of liability based on negligence.  The
first is the liability of the landowner and to persons on his land.  The
extent of the liability (and the nature of the duty) depends on the "status"
person injured as an "invitee," "licensee" or "trespasser."  The second is
the duty to others not to injure them due to negligence whether or not they
are on your land.

Violation of the building codes is probably "negligence per se" in most
states which means the plaintiff does not have much to do to prove that the
tower builder was negligent.  Deviation from the design standards is also
evidence of negligence.  So the risk taker is putting his or her personal
assets on the line when they take that risk.

There is one more class of persons who are risk takers.  They are the ones
who recommend that someone else deviate from the standards.

It is not the manufacturer who will be held liable when something happens.
It is the landowner and everyone who participated with him in his or her
negligence.  Moreover, it is simply not true that it takes "destructive
testing" to prove an installation.  Structural engineering knowledge is very
much up to the task without destructive testing even though some of the
empirical data may have originally come for such testing.  Determining the
load limits of a particular installation is not rocket science and could be
done by any experienced engineer.  Violating the load factors and safety
factors determined by the engineers is more than just risky. It could even
involve criminal liability in the worst cases.

So it is true that it is very informative to hear what others have done
successfully.  But I would be more interested in hearing what has happened
when it was done wrong, particularly where the builder got sued or had
criminal charges brought against him..

Bill
W7VP