Re: [TowerTalk] 204BA matching question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Mark, K5ER" <k5er@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 204BA matching question
From: "AA6DX - Mark" <aa6dx@suddenlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:55:41 +0100
Back in late 70s. Had a 204BA on the top of my tower stack at my contest
station in downtown Redding, CA  --  `twas a dark and stormy night, and was
CQWW--phone methinks -- when 20M went dead .. too dead.  Nevertheless, I
clumb the tower and the mast (over the 15M & 10M Long Johns' booms) and
disentwined that the beta match had broken in two ... I did not want to go
down and up and down the tower again, as the band was HOT right then! So ..
with tools I had with me and what I had in a bucket on a string at the tower
base, I took the match off, and connected the coax DIRECT to the beam.  I
convinced myself that there was a little skewing of the signal as a result,
but not sure ... it just worky worky fine .. and, I never replaced it, and
in subsequent installations of that antenna I never "fixed" it... because
the beam played just fine.  That was the year I set SV records for phone &
CW...short-lived as those records were..  HIHI.  73  Mark  AA6DX
ps .. now have a quite puny signal from my small backyard setup in downtown
Eureka, CA -- though I do have an A3S on an Aluma Tower, until the Gestapo
gets to me!