[TowerTalk] Coax as powerline - NOT

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax as powerline - NOT
From: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:32:08 -0500
I thought it would work fine also but was going to wait for other comments.
Water, yes but same as other use for coax.  BUT, let's take an extreme
example, say 200 feet distance, and even 5 amp load.  You will see a voltage
drop at the work end of the line.  OK, the voltage drop may be fine.  The
problem is that the difference in voltage measured across the two conductors
occurs partially on BOTH conductors.  THAT leaves the "ground" side of the
coax at some potential that is above ground.  Now both wires are HOT.
DANGER here, if you are going to do it, you MUST be aware of it and take the
proper precautions and NOT connect the "ground" side of the line to anything
other that a load that is NOT GROUNDED.  Just not a good situation.  The
NEXT guy might get electrocuted.

IMHO, Jim