[Towertalk] Building Hygain Yagis

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Building Hygain Yagis
From: Roger Borowski" <K9RB@arrl.net (Roger Borowski)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 19:08:56 -0400
I believe HyGain, at some point in the late 80's or early 90's changed to
standard .058 thickness 7/16" OD element end pieces, well before the sellout to
MFJ. I recall the thin tubing on B series monobanders and early TH7's but the C
series monobanders and later TH7's as well as all TH11's use minimum .058 wall
tubing or heavier gage tubing in high stress areas. From all I've seen and
heard about these antennas produced now in Starkville, MS., all are the same as
they were when they were manufactured in Lincoln, NE. Quality appears to not
have suffered in the transition. 73, -=Rog-K9RB=-

BTW; Anyone looking for a brand new Hygain HAM V rotor (with DCU-1 digital
controller w/RS-232) I bought a spare when they discontinued them and have
never needed it. MFJ has never (as of the time being) made this a production
item although they have listed it in the price sheets for over two years
already. The DCU-1 allows for 0-360 degree choice for center of rotation as
well as an 8 second brake delay. It has six presets for favorite directions and
lists accuracy as +/-1 degree. The RS-232 control is compatable with most
popular logging and contesting programs and works really slick. The Ham V
rotator itself is the same as the Ham IV with the pigtail and weatherproof
connector replacing the old terminal board. Its also painted with powder coat
technology which is quite an improvement over the previous painted units. I've
opened the box to check for damage initially but it has been resealed and sits
on the shelf here. I've used my operational unit to turn my TH11DX for over six
years flawlessly, and without so much as a glitch. I'll sell for cost of
$899.95 (no tax, I didn't pay any!) plus shipping. Contact; K9RB@arrl.net
First serious buyer will own it. 73, Rog-K9RB