Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding the tower..alternatives

To: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>, <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>,<TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding the tower..alternatives
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:44:33 +0000
JC:

     I (and most others here on TowerTalk) would advise against placing copper
tubing in intimate contact with galvanized steel.  So that would eliminate your
first suggested alternative.

     I use Harger 222T connectors to fasten my #2 solid tinned copper ground
wires to the legs of my Trylon tower (at factory-drilled holes.)  I also use
Harger #213T connectors to connect these same #2 wires to other places on the
tower steel, like at the coax ground points at the top and bottom of the tower.
 These conenctors meet all the lightning specs you site in UL96.  They provide
1.5 sqin of surface area in contact with the tower steel; they have two
channels that can firmly grasp two ground wires for the spec'd 1.5 inch length;
and they include a sharp point in each channel that pierces each ground wire to
hold it in place.  The connectors also include sets of grooves on the contact
portion of the connector to permit drainage of rainwater away from the surface
underneath the clamp.

     I suggest you look into using either of these connector assemblies,
including the <T> version - electroplated tin - to connect your TINNED copper
tubing to the tower legs.  Or you can squeeze the flattened copper tubing
against a piece of stainless steel, which is held against the tower galvanized
surface with a SS hose clamp.  But this is a bit more complicated thatn the
staightforward Harger clamps that are made for this purpose.  Just make sure
your tubing is at least #2 gauge in size - the minimum for Harger clamps.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>