Re: [TowerTalk] Sprockets with 2" bore needed

To: "'K8RI'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sprockets with 2" bore needed
From: "Mike Baker" <k7dd@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 09:23:15 -0700
Here are my first thoughts on the subject.
IF, I wanted to keep the forces contained as much as possible and allow the
torque to be transferred to all surfaces pretty equally I would make a
combination guying plates/rotor plates/mast bearing plates and make it so it
actually bolts in as a mini tower section (maybe 12" total length, 2 plates
spaced enough to contain the bearing and gears with a small margin) in
between the 25G sections.
The new plates would be set up with guy arms and then star guyed. That takes
care of your rotational torque problem.
The rotor mounted on the outside of the plates would bolt up to a shaft
supported between two bearings which has one gear. The inside end of the
plates have two more bearings which bolt up to the antenna shaft and a gear
with matching chain to transmit the rotational torque when needed. Half way
between I would install a small idler gear with a screw tensioning system so
the slack can be trimmed out of the chain as it wears or removed so the
chain can just be slipped off the gears for replacement if necessary.
By putting it in the joint between the two sections you get to take some
advantage of the ease of installation and replacement and the ability to
reinforce the bracing between the legs at the joint in the new shorty
section.

I hope I explained my ideas enough to be understood.
It still seems like a lot of work and manufacturing just to enable the
external mounting of a rotor.

Mike Baker  K7DD
K7dd@cox.net
All QSO's are uploaded to LOTW and EQSL.