Re: [TowerTalk] Coax ground braid

To: Bob Ad5vj <ad5vj@ad5vj.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax ground braid
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 22:51:04 -0400
I worked at The Phone Company many years and saw lots of wet cable, from paper
wrapped copper in lead to modern composite jacket fiber.

There are a wide variety of things that could've damaged your cable. UV and
temperature changes, rodents, birds, insects, reptiles, bullets/shot, darts and
wind, to name a few. The older rubber/vinyl cables were notorious for
developing holes.

Someone offered me a 4' spool of CATV hard line this past weekend for free. I
pulled the end, gave it a twist and the jacket crumbled off in my hand.

My friend, ever the optimist, said, "It's not all like that."

That made me hesitate and look at this big spool of huge coax... I asked my
friend, "Tell me how we can, very reliably and easily determine the good from
the bad."  As my friend rambled on about his TDR gadget, I started to rotate
the spool to try to find specs or a date, the wooden spool came apart with the
loud wet crackle familiar to those have heard wooden things break.

We decided to pass.

Mickey  N4MB