Re: [TowerTalk] 45G and guys

To: "'Jeff Blaine'" <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 45G and guys
From: Jon Zaimes via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 05:45:29 -0500
Ignacy,

The Rohn specs allow for two sets of guys on 100 feet of Rohn 45 in its lowest
wind-zone rating. Upper guys (at 85 feet) are 1/4" EHS and lower are 3/16" EHS.
In higher wind zones three sets of guys are specified.
http://www.rohnnet.com/files/2015_Rohn_Full_Catalog.pdf#page=48

I've had such a tower with two sets of guys here in central Delaware for  the
past 21 years, with a 3-stack of HyGain 204BA yagis on it. The guys are
insulated EHS steel. I've never found any problem with the lower beams
interacting with the guys.

I have successfully shunt fed several Rohn 25 towers with insulated EHS steel
guys. Some have had a 6-foot section of EHS connected to the tower before the
first insulator, others used a bent pin shackle to place the first insulator
right at the tower. I haven't noticed any difference with either method.
Nonresonant insulated guy lengths used typically are 58 feet or 39 feet, taken
from a chart in the ARRL Antenna Book.

At this QTH I have a 119-foot series-fed Rohn 25 for 160m, which started with a
combination of Phillystran and insulated EHS guys. When trees grew and risked
chafing of the Phillystran guys, I replaced those with insulated EHS steel, and
I didn't see any change in tuning or performance.

Phillystran is a great material if the tower is in the clear and there's no
risk of chafing from tree branches. Do use a length of steel at the bottom 10
feet or so of each guy, for ease of adjustment, fire safety and vandalism
prevention. DX Engineering sells a nice kit for those tails.

If in doubt on any phase of your plans, consider hiring a structural engineer
to review them. You may need this anyway to obtain your local building permit.

73/Jon

Jon P. Zaimes, AA1K
Tower climber for hire
http://www.aa1k.us/
Cell: 302-632-2353

Reviews of AA1K tower work on eham website:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/12922

Hug your favorite tower every day, and always stay connected to it.