Re: [TowerTalk] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines

To: "Larry Burke" <wi5a@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:06:37 +0000
Larry:

     I spent my first ten years out of college as an engineer with the local
electric utility, designing substations, among other things.  One reason that
distribution lines might seem more noisy is there are more of them around and
the likelihood of having defective or dirty components is greater with these LV
lines than with higher voltage lines.

     You might want to take an AM receiver for BCB/SW and for aeronautical
bands out to the property sometime and listen on both.  They both ought to tell
you whether arcing (heard as QRN) exists and its extent, frequency-wise.  Don't
visit after a rainstorm, though.  The rain will clean off much of the
contaminents that cause arcing in the first place.  Go after a few weeks of dry
weather if possible.  Dirt, droppings, etc will have had a chance to
accumulate, causing the noise you might pick up on your weak-signal receivers.

     But if it were my money, I'd spend it on a piece of property that was not
that close to a power line.  The line might be the best maintained in the
country, but why tempt fate if you have a choice?

GL es 73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: "Larry Burke" <wi5a@sbcglobal.net>