[Towertalk] Warning: Off-topic post alert

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Warning: Off-topic post alert
From: swca@swbell.net (Mark Beckwith)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:14:19 -0500
Warning: This email has little if anything to do with towers (technically,
the word "towers" is used in it, however), so if you are upset by
non-tower-related posts, delete it now and feel good about it.

>I'm sorry to continue the off topic garbage,
>but the lack of civility and disregard
>for the feelings of others really riles me.

Personally I thought this "irregardless" discussion was all in good fun and
impressed me with many TTers' agility with and/or respect for English.  I
don't mind it at all.  At least the posts are short and not boring.

Next thing you know we'll be making tower puns.  That would be refreshing.
So would limericks.

I commented, albeit privately, originally, that "irregardless" is in my desk
dictionary (Webster's New Collegiate 1979).  Whether it was used right or
not in this case is another question, but that is a minor concern compared
to the usual gross errors in spelling and grammar which are normal on email.
(IN email?)

As far as practical use of language goes, I think we all know what was
inteneded by the use of the word "irregardless" in the original post.

I look at these reflectors not so much as "topic centered" but as "interest
centered."  Who says a bunch of guys who are drawn together with a common
interest shouldn't take the occasional rest stop?  I'd rather hear what YOU
guys think about english than go in search of a reflector whose actual
purpose is to debate whether "irregardless" is a word or not.

I'm here for the people, because they're tower people.  Same for the
cq-contest reflector (well, except that they're contest people).

:)

Mark, N5OT