[TowerTalk] Tower, 80m vertical and BC hash

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower, 80m vertical and BC hash
From: jskatz@sk.sympatico.ca (Sylvan Katz)
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 17:06:56 -0600
TT

I have final got my tower to radiate reasonably well on 80m .... 160 is
next. I find that I have a lot of noise from local AM stns on 80m. There is
no noise from on the 80m inverted vee. In fact, with the vertical the
daytime noise is > S3-4 across the 80m band and in certain spots like 3.650
MHz I have S9+20db with 3 or 4 local stations mixed together (my rx is an
ICOM 736). I found that if wound 60 ft or so of coax into a choke with a
diameter of approx 3 ft and put it in the feedline near the base of the
tower the noise is substantially reduced. The daytime noise drops to < S2
and the noise at 3.650 MHz  is reduced to < S4-5.

Question:

What is the most effective way to handle this problem?

.. sylvan

-----