Re: [TowerTalk] Digging the Hole

To: "Bill Gaines AD8P" <ad8p@wcoil.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging the Hole
From: "W5CPT" <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:04:01 -0500
Check out Sign Companies and the larger Electrical Contractors in the area.
They can have (or have access to) large truck mounted augers.  They set poles
for the really tall signs for Gas Stations that you can see from the
Interstate.  My local electrician has a 24" auger that drilled my Rohn 25G
tower base for $70.  It took him longer to maneuver the truck around in the
yard than it did to go 5 feet.  Less then 15 minutes start to finish and worth
every penny.  I realize a 40 inch auger might be hard to find but it worth a
few calls.

As far as the round vs. square hole, my Rohn catalog (circa 1984) says either
is acceptable.  I would check with my tower manufacturer to see if your
particular base could be approved with a round hole.

Clint - W5CPT