[TowerTalk] SPG & Service Entrance Grounds.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] SPG & Service Entrance Grounds.
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:25:27 +0000
A couple of points to clarify from recent posts:

"Now I am confused Gary. I thought the tower ground was tied in with
everything else. Unless, like a friend of mine who's tower is 300 ft from
his house. If the tower is near the house,  I thought it was supposed to be
tied into the SPG with everything else. Using more ground rods and cable
spaced 16ft (or twice the length of the ground rod) apart."

Mike you are correct.  If the tower is close enough, bond its grounding system
to the SPG, if it's really far away, then leave them separate.

"If the power and phone grounds are a long ways or on the other side of the
> house, it is best to run a power feed over to your single point ground
> panel
> and place a suppressor on it at the panel rather than rely on a long bond
> between the power panel and your single point ground panel."

This would be optimum but if you use large enough bonding wire or wide copper
strap, you can achieve a low enough resistance/impedance bond between the two.
Personally I use #4 bare solid for my bonding wires.

Ideally, and what most commercial stations do, is install a perimeter grounding
system around the entire structure and then you can just tap onto that and
you're good to go regardless of entrance location of the service, phone, or
coaxes.

--
Phil - KB9CRY
Lockport, IL