Re: [TowerTalk] exploding foundations

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>, Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>,Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] exploding foundations
From: kr7x@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:45:35 +0000
Jim / Paul / Doug and list:

I have been holding back from responding to this thread as I have responded to
this idea in the past, but I just couldn't hold back any more.

The exploding concrete concept is mostly myth not fact. If you look at the
referenced fig. 4 in the cited resource you see the vertical crack at the
surface of the concrete pier. There is no spalling or other evidence of
exploding concrete in this photo. My take is that this appears more like a
freeze-thaw crack given the mountain-top location. If indeed the water in the
concrete flashed to steam ( a big stretch) the water was there due to the crack
already being there. Concrete does not have free-water pockets incorporated in
it if properly placed and consolidated. The water is used up in the chemical
reaction of the concrete curing process. There is some free water in the
micro-pores of the concrete-sand-rock matrix, but in miniscule amounts. If the
crack is 1/8" wide then it is significant but to attribute it to a lighting
strike with lack of before / after data is bad science.

I have been engineering foundations for large power plants, manufacturing
facilities, stacks, towers, etc. for almost 40 years. We have always used Ufer
type grounding with an external ground grid and rods.  All tied together with
exothermic welded connections and 2/0 or 4/0 stranded ( heaven forbid! ) bare
copper cable. I have yet to see ,or been notificed of, any evidence of a
lightning strike induced foundation failure or explosion damage.

For the sake of good engineering practice and knowledge I remain open to all
information that shows that what we have been doing is dangerous and
inappropriate. I am focused on providing my clients with the best practical
engineering solutions to their projects.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.
H.S. Lonberg, P.E.,S.E.
President