Re: [TowerTalk] Proximity to power lines

To: <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Proximity to power lines
From: "Kurt Cathcart, KR2C" <Kurt@KuhlRoad.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 08:56:25 -0400
In my back yard I have 2 high tension towers.  The closest sits about 200'
behind the house.  The other is a little further.  I'm told that the closer
on is 230Kv and the further is 550Kv.  I have a Hustler ground mounted
vertical about 130 feet away from the closer tower.  The only time I seem to
have a problem is when there is a storm front passing through.  You can
stand in the back yard and hear the wires buzzing.  On the radio this
translates to about a 9 or 10/S9 noise level.  This doesn't happen too often
and as a casual operator, it isn't too much of a concern for me.  Normally
you wouldn't even hear the power lines on the radio.

I am currently in the process of putting up a small 40' tower with a small
beam.  The tower will be about 80 feet away from the closer power lines.
Look up my call on QRZ and you can zoom iinto the satellite map and see the
high tension towers behind my house.

-Kurt
KR2C