[TowerTalk] Beverage doubts.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beverage doubts.
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 21:55:53 +0000
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date:          Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:32:57 -0400

Hi Pete,

> So far, I'm not terribly impressed.  Signals in the desired direction are
> down a couple of S-units, which is tolerable, and the thing appears to have
> some directivity (i.e. signals in non-desired directions are down more) but
> the signal-to-noise ratio does not seem significantly better than on my
> vertically-polarized 4-element parasitic array.

I live on a 300 acre farm way out on a dirt road in the boonies of
GA and have a gaggle of 500 ft Beverages a thousand feet or more back
from the house. My four square hears better than the Beverages at
night about 70%, and nearly as well during daylight.

In Ohio, I had four ten foot vertical "voltage probe" antennas
(the receiving equal of a  4 element vertical array) and they were
better than Beverages most of the time by a few dB.

> I did have to run the antenna under one of my guy sets not too far from the
> anchor -- a couple of feet vertical spacing, roughly at right angles, and
> it passes about 70 feet from the base of my tower.  Is coupling to the guy
> (unbroken till near the tower) and resultant noise pickup likely?

Maybe all that wrong stuff hurts, but receiving antennas aren't
magic. A long wire is still a *very inefficient* way to get
directivity...and directivity is the single most important thing  for
good receiving on low bands.  The Beverage is probably less directive
(especially your shorty) than the vertical array you have, and hence
offers less S/N ratio.

But don't give up yet. You might even try phasing the Beverage
against the vertical array. That works very well here.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com