[TowerTalk] more - Precip static

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] more - Precip static
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 21:57:22 +0000
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date:          Tue, 05 May 1998 13:04:05 -0400
> From:          Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>

> Isn't it "the square of the distance"?

This is getting off the subject of antennas, sorta.

The force reduction is by square of the distance for a charge
distant enough to look like every thing comes from a *single point*
in space. Then Coulomb's 1/R^2 law applies.

But if the source of the field is close enough that the charge
doesn't appear to come from a single point in space, the effect
changes.

In the case where the charge appears to come from a very large
area, force falls off at the rate of 1 / distance. Inverse to the
distance. There is a gradual change to the 1/R^2  law as the point
under consideration moves out.

I'm assuming we have a mast on top of a tall tower, and the antenna
is close enough to the tower and mast the tower and mast don't look
like a single point.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com