[TowerTalk] thrust bearing KM1R

To: "TOWERTALK@contesting.com" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] thrust bearing KM1R
From: "Castellano, Michael (USACT)" <Michael.Castellano@usdoj.gov>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 19:49:59 +0000
About 15 years ago, in XW land, we put up a Hy-Gain 3-30 Mc log periodic with a
thrust bearing made out of a block of mahogany
(if I remember, a b it of grease.  Well, last year I was back there to do work,
and checked the thrust bearing. It was like the day we [put it in.

My point?  At one (1) rpm, you do not need a super expensive bearing.  I still
like the idea of a block of hardwood (be careful: oak warps in the weather)
such as mahogany. And its CHEAP, and lasts a long long time.

73 all!

Mike KM1R  / HS0ZAI

Michael John Castellano
I - R