Re: [TowerTalk] 43ft Vertical Feeding Question and Balun type

To: jimc@pwrone.com,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 43ft Vertical Feeding Question and Balun type
From: "Joe Reisert, W1JR" <W1JR@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:03:03 -0500
Hi Gang,

There is magic about a 43 foot vertical but it isn't what most people
think. It's 5/8 wavelength at 20 meters, clearly a good maximum
performance antenna for DX on that band with a vertical. That's why
many broadcast stations use to use it (per Brown etal). I haven't
modeled one lately but the 5/8 wave vertical is often used on 2 meter
mobiles with about a 49" whip. They usually are matched with just a
series inductor.

However, on the bands above 20 meters, there should be lots of cloud
warming lobes.

73,

Joe, W1JR