True North

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: True North
From: af2c@computer.net (Jay Musikar)
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 12:19:58 -0500
I hate to belabor this thread, but when dealing with terms like,
"declination," "deviation,"inclination" and "dip" do not rely upon
dictionary definitions.

Most, but not all, geology, earth science, and geography books define
"magnetic declination" as the angle between the magnetic north and
geographic north pole.

Further research will reveal that the angles of declination and inclination
(determined by a compass and a dipping needle) give the direction of the
magnetic field of the earth with reference to:
north-south
east-west
and
up and down.

So guys...Enough is enough.  Let's stop playing with semantics!

73,
Jay/AF2C