[TowerTalk] Fire in the Trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fire in the Trees
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:52:18 -0600
All this talk about RF causing a fire near the antenna reminds me of a
serious rumor that was running around several years ago about some Kansas
City contesters.  Now, I do not know if this story is true, but here is how
it went....

These guys were operating a 160 meter contest using a phased set of Hygain
HyTowers on 160.  The amp they were using was fondly nicknamed "Godzilla"
and as legend has it...the amp could really cook.  You know...one of those
3CX$$,$$$ amps.  In fact, the amp was supposedly have had a set of wheels
and a dolly truck permanently mounted so be whisked away in a pickup truck.
Portable power amp...sort of speak.

Well, anyway, as the story goes...these guys were running rate on 160 and
all of a sudden the SWR goes up.  They cut over to another antenna and keep
going.  One guy goes out to see what is wrong and the Hygain Hytower
insulators were on fire and the antenna had fallen over.

Is there any truth to this story?  Can you burn up a Hytower?  Does
"Godzilla" really exist?  Will anyone admit it?  Stay tuned!

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net