[Towertalk] Re: SteppIR Element Placement

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: SteppIR Element Placement
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:53:18 +0100
K8LX wrote:
>However, I just played around for a minutes in
YO and it appears that for a 16' boom and the
DE somewhere in the middle, 16 or 17 DB F/B is
about all you can achieve on 10 meters. Still,
it's decent F/B for most applications.

Question for a SteppIR owner: where exactly is
the DE placed on the boom?

W5LT replied:
>I own one. It is not yet up, but the latest instruction book says:
>
>Director - Driven  =  89.5 "
>Driven - Reflector = 102.5"

        Using that element spacing, YO7 says the maximum F/B on 10M
is 15.4 dB (optimizing 100% for F/B at the single freq of 28.4 MHz).
Allowing variable placement of the driven element, F/B improves to
27.3 dB (with Dir/DE = 40.312" and DE/Ref = 150.688")...FWIW.

                                           73,  Bill  W4ZV