[TowerTalk] mechanical construction of 80m vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] mechanical construction of 80m vertical
From: hartley@smart.net (Chuck Hartley)
Date: Sat Mar 22 11:40:02 2003
It seems like one should be able to use one of the programs for
mechanical yagi element design to solve this problem. An 80m yagi
element should certainly work in the vertical position since its design
provides enough strength to support itself in the normal horizontal
orientation (which also implies that it won't collapse while it is being
raised). One difference is that the section joints have to support the
vertical load of the sections above it, but that doesn't seem too
difficult to deal with. Can any mechanical engineers out there explain
why the design principles for a horizontal element would be different
than those for a vertical element?

73, Chuck

On Sat, 2003-03-22 at 09:04, RCARIELLO wrote:

> Hello to All,
> The question of a full size 1/4 wave vertical element has been bouncing
> around for some time now. Many years ago I recall seeing at a Radio Contest
> Club Meeting photos of a Four Square made with full size free standing
> aluminum 1/4 wave elements for 75 meters. I have never been able to get the
> construction details. One would think with all the Professional Engineers
> that hold Amateur Radio Licenses a design would have been made available to
> one of the reflectors by now. We will just have to keep hoping I guess.

--- snip ---