Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning, surge protection

To: "WD0M" <wd0m@centurytel.net>, "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>,"Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning, surge protection
From: "M. Kent Miller" <K4MK@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:44:55 -0500
Just a suggestion --- read the warranty very carefully before you start
feeling that your equipment is protected effectively by a surge suppressor.

I had a lightning strike and because my Tripp-Lite surge suppressor was "
in-line " after the UPS instead of plugged directly into the wall outlet,
the warranty was not honored.
I lost the UPS, the surge suppressor, and a couple thousand dollars worth of
equipment.

My insurance company covered most of the loss, so I came out o k, but I have
begun to believe that a lot of the " warranties " offered by various surge
suppressor manufacturers have a lot of small print in them. It kinda reminds
me of the car warranties that cover everything about the vehicle except the
problem that you actually encounter. Sounds good, and entices you to buy it,
but doesn' t live up to what it appears to promise.

My two cents worth...

73,
Kent - K4MK