[TowerTalk] Where can I get a *simple* *cheap* anemometer for tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Where can I get a *simple* *cheap* anemometer for tower
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 18:36:17 -0700 (PDT)
I would like to monitor wind speed using a simple
cup anemometer to determine when it is time to
crank down the tower.  In looking for anemometers,
I have only found extremely expensive solutions that
indicate wind direction as well as speed, and require
a complete "weather station" in the shack, and even then, no
analog wind speed output voltage.  All I want is a cup
assembly connected to a velocity to voltage transducer
(tachometer sensor).

I found a source of anemometer cup assemblies at a
place called Forcefield.  I am about ready to build
my own anemometer out of an old hard drive motor,
but I thought I would ask what other people with tower
anemometers are using (I know you are out there...)
before embarking on this science project.

Rick N6RK