Re: [TowerTalk] cheap ground wire

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cheap ground wire
From: jcjacobsen@q.com
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:19:47 -0500 (EST)
How do,

Rick is looking for cheap ground wire:

<snip>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012
From: Rick Scott

Ive been trying to find information on grounding my station that's mid house
with no real ground close. So I must go through the wall and down into the
crawlspace.? I was told by an electrical engineer ham that I need 2ga wire
minimum.? Well trying to tell the wife I need 10 -15 feet of wire that's 4
bucks a foot at the local big box, didn't go over well.

<snip>

I'm amazed no one has suggested flat, copper, roof flashing. It comes in rolls
about 6" wide and different lengths, and is available at the big box stores.
Because of the large, flat, surface it is low inductance and almost perfect for
an RF ground. Now, then, if you're looking for a SAFETY ground, then you need
to follow code for your area........... although I think most areas spec abt a
6 ga. copper. AND remember to tie the station RF GROUND in with the power
company SAFETY GROUND. Two different things.

I'm curious as to how you're going to get a ground rod installed straight down
in that crawl space <grin> but I guess that's a different thread..... wait,
there's one going on now about rocky soil.

73
K9WN Jake