Re: [TowerTalk] Hydrogen Embrittlement

To: "Mark ." <n1lo@hotmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hydrogen Embrittlement
From: kb0fhp@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:08:12 +0000
These alloys are susceptable to hydrogen embrittlement.  But the black oxide
process (hot) involves the immersion in a series of caustic salts at 295F.
Essentially, the caustic (NaOH) reacts with the iron surface creating an
adherant iron oxide (typically Fe3O4-magnetite).  This reaction releases
hydrogen at the surface of the steel. However, there may be inhibitors or other
stuff in the hot bath that would not cause the formation of hydrogen - similar
to the low hydrogen form of cadmium plating.  If you suspect hydrogen
embrittlement, the best thing to do is to do a hydrogen embrittlement
stress-relief for 24 hours at 325-375F.

I tried looking up some information on stress-relief after black-oxide coating,
but was not able to readily find it.  I would ask your black-oxide supplier
technical people.  They love questions like that.....

Scott