[TowerTalk] Best Way to Shine Old Antennas

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best Way to Shine Old Antennas
From: DENNIS BRICKEY <n4dd@embarqmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:22:57 -0400 (EDT)

I have cleaned and shined several older oxidized yagis by first spraying the
parts with an acidic mag wheel cleaner from the local auto parts store.  I
allow it to foam for a couple of

minutes, and then rinse thoroughly with a water hose.  This removes all the old
oxidation, dirt, etc.  I stole the idea from an HVAC service man who used a
weak solution of HCL

and water to clean AC coils.

I then use 0000 steel wool to shine/buff the aluminum tubing.

It is a pretty quick process that has worked well for me.  I have experienced
no pitting or aluminum degradation

Good Luck,

Dennis