[TowerTalk] Log Periodic Antennas

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Log Periodic Antennas
From: jcowens1@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 21:43:13 +0000 (UTC)

It has been interesting to read the comments (pro and con) about log periodic
antennas. I am a little surprised that no one has made comnments about the
HyGain TH-11 yet. It is a bit of a hybrid LP with traped directors for 10,15,
17 and 20 meters with only 3 elements containing traps. I purchased this
antenna and some others along with a tower that was part on an estate sale. It
has been up at my QTH for over 5 years now and helped me finish my #1 Honor
Roll standing. I had 4+el element monobanders prior to this installation, and
don't miss all of the work and trouble putting up and maintaining triple stack
monos.

The SK ham who purchased this antenna new was a highly respected engineer at
Microsoft, and he was adivsed on this antenna by another top engineer at
Microsoft, Mike Mraz ( N6MZ),  who also owned one of these. Mike helped put a
number of cherished DX QSO's in your logs from VK0IR, K7C, BS7H and a number of
other Dxpeditions. I may not have picked this out as a new antenna purchase,
but am glad that I have it. It has around 17 years of performance on it now and
is holding up very well. I have not had to do anything to it during the 5 years
I have had it. I can't quote quantitave comparisons with other antennas, but
feel that it is all that I need to chase after DX for the bands it covers.

John Owens  -   N7TK