[TowerTalk] Wire Dipole Meets High Voltage Electric Fence: Keepingthe Re

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wire Dipole Meets High Voltage Electric Fence: Keepingthe Receiver Happy
From: Jeff Stevens <jeff@mossycup.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 00:50:59 -0800
I'm looking to set up a wire dipole for 40 meters however have an
interesting problem.  We certainly have the space and structures to put
together some rather large wire antennas.  The issue is the electric
fencing we use to section off various pastures for farm animals.

I'm not so concerned about the noise from the electric fence but rather
the possibility of a wire antenna coming down on top of an electrified
fence.  While the fencing runs only a few mA, referenced to earth ground
it runs about 5000V.  If a wire antenna were to contact the electrified
fence, I think the transceiver would be quite unhappy.  It doesn't
matter where an antenna is located on our lot; If it's of any size and
it comes down it *will* likely contact the electric fence.  Disabling
the electric fence isn't an option either.

So, what am I to do?  Is there any hope?  Are there any lightning
protection products that might be appropriate?

Thanks!

-Jeff
KE7FRJ