Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Dipole Meets High Voltage Electric

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Dipole Meets High Voltage Electric
From: Jeff Stevens <jeff@mossycup.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 00:16:57 -0800
On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 18:49 -0500, Dan Zimmerman N3OX wrote:
> >A few folks recommended off-list to use insulated wire for the dipole.
> >I'm considering using the copper-weld style copper plated steel wire
> >for strength / conductivity.  Is there anything similar that is
> >insulated?  I would have to insure the insulation is UV stable as well.
>
> If you take W5DXP's suggestion to make a folded dipole out of ladder line,
> you can purchase copper clad steel ladder line... then you've got good
> insulation, the strength of copperweld,  and an antenna that is naturally at
> DC ground potential.

Yes, thank you guys for this info.  I wasn't even aware copper clad
steel ladder line was an option.  I've been looking a ladder line based
dipoles today and I think this is the way I'll go.  It took me a few
minutes to figure out what you meant by an antenna that is naturally at
ground potential.  I see that with a good ground on one of the antenna
leads a folded dipole has a low resistance path to ground throughout the
entire antenna.  Having never made a folded dipole, except for use on
the commercial FM band (and I didn't even know that it was called a
folded dipole at the time), my initial reaction was to shy away from
this option.  Looks like a winner in my situation.

Along with a lightning arrestor to shunt possible surges on the center
conductor of my transmission line and a solid earth ground on the shield
I've come up with a paper sketch of my plans.

The greater bandwidth of the folded dipole is a bonus too!

73 - Jeff
KE7FRJ